Thursday, February 19, 2009

Rava Dosa


Rava Dosa is a thin dosa with a lace like texture. Each person uses different proportions of ingredients for making this yummy dosa. I always follow my mil's proportions from whom I learnt to make this. This is one of my favourites as it is comes out very crisp and doesn't need fermentation.

Ingredients
Maida/All Purpose Flour - 1/2 cup
Rice Flour - 1/2 cup
Rava/Semolina - 1/4 cup
Green Chilly - 1, cut into thin slices
Jeera/Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Salt
Oil

Mix both flours and rava and add enough water to make a thin batter. This batter must be thinner than ordinary dosa. Add salt to the batter.
Heat 2 tsp of oil and add jeera. When it begins to crackle add the chopped green chillies. Fry for a minute and add it to the batter.
For making dosas, heat a non-stick tava. Smear with 1/2 a tsp of oil. Take a ladle full of batter and pour from a height of 5-6 inches in a throwing fashion(just like neer dosa). Do not shape it as ordinary dosa. Cook on medium flame till it gets golden.
Serve with your favorite chutney/sambhar.
The above quantities make 7-8 dosas.

Note: Green chillies can be be added directly to the batter.

6 comments:

  1. As much as I love this dosa, it's quite tricky to make the lacy thing. You have achieved that there, looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely...I do make it on lazy weekends. I add onions and coriander leaves to the batter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asha
    I agree with you that sometimes its tricky to get the lacy texture. I think it depends on the consistency of the batter.
    Poonam
    I have added onions in the past but not cilantro. Will add both next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi,
    i do make them often but it is soft & not crispy.lemme try your mil's way..
    Nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Namratha, Yummy dosa...I love these with chitne pitti and ghee it tastes amazing!! my amma used to add a little bit of grated coconut to the batter. Nice pics. TC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanu
    Keep the flame on medium and make the batter thin. It will be crispy then.
    Suparna
    Grated coconut in the batter sounds interesting. Amma always has a stock of chatni pitti. We add coconut oil to the pitti.

    ReplyDelete