Thursday, January 29, 2009

Cucumber Soup


Right from my college days I had this hobby of collecting recipes from newspapers. I have made a scrapbook with all the recipes but hardly tried any of them. I brought this book with me while coming to US thinking that it may help me in my cooking.
This recipe is from one such paper cutout. It is called Cold Cucumber Soup. I made a few changes to the original recipe and we had it as a hot soup as we were in no mood to have a cold soup in this chilly winter. My hubby loved this soup and wanted me to post it here.

Ingredients:

Cucumber - 1 big, peeled and grated.
Onion - 1 very small, chopped
Milk - 1/4 cup
Butter - 1 tsp
Pepper Powder
Corn Flour - 1 tsp
Lemon juice
Edible Green Colour - 1 drop (optional)
Salt

1. Heat butter in a pan and saute the onions.
2. Add grated cucumber and little water and boil for few mins.
3. Let it cool a little and then blend it in a blender until smooth.
4. Transfer it to a pan and add milk and give it a boil. Add more water if necessary.
5. Add salt, pepper and green colour.
6. Mix corn flour in little water and add this to the soup.
7. Simmer the soup for a few mins.
8. Squeeze some lemon juice just before serving and serve hot.

Variation: According to the original recipe the soup is strained at Step 2 and is served as a chilled soup. The rest of the procedure remains the same.

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm...!! I like it. I have a cold cucumber soup too but different from this. I love to make this in Summer, looks good!Reminds me of yummy Tambli! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just checked your blog Asha. Your soup looks much better and flavorful than this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks yummy...I have a cold cucumber soup written down in one of my recipe books too, but I like your warm version better, works well for this weather....first time here you have a wonderful space :-)

    ReplyDelete